Youth and Community Development Programme
- Location: Jamaica
- Types of Partners: Community groups
- Population Served: Children and adults
- Age Group Served: All
- Number of People Cared For: Varies for each partner
- Minimum Stay: From 2 weeks
- Sustainable Development Goal: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Programme Requirements: No specific requirement from partners. Volunteers who want to learn more about community development in the Caribbean and who want to contribute to changing lives are encouraged to apply. Volunteers with studies or experience in cultural development, history, international relations, community development, sustainable development, literature or any related area are suitable.
- Work Schedule: 5 hours per day, Monday – Friday
- Activities: Weekly workshops and cultural events
- Accommodation Type: Host Family
- Price: From $1,400USD per person, convert to your currency. Please see Programme and Project Price for Jamaica
- Meals Included: Breakfast and dinner (adapted to dietary requirements as necessary)
- What is Included: 24-hour support, accommodation, programme, two meals, transportation to and from the airport, taxi cost from host family to partner agency, please see What is Included for a full list
- What is Not Included: Airfare, daily lunch, internet, laundry, travel and health insurance, please see What is Not Included for a full list
- Start Dates: Flexible
- Age of Volunteer: Must be 18+
Communities fuel the growth and development of any country. Building strong communities that are more resilient and self-sufficient will prove significant in moving Caribbean islands from a developing status to developed. Volunteers can contribute to this process by helping to address some of the key issues affecting communities such as poor parenting, teenage pregnancy, low self-esteem, unemployment, adult literacy and inadequate infrastructural development among others. 5% of all project fees will go towards a Community Development Fund which will help to address these issues.
Your role as a volunteer is to work with government agencies to support the community development agenda. The day to day tasks include planning for community and other stakeholder meetings (preparing objectives, budget, agenda, correspondences), mobilizing target group, assisting with visioning and planning sessions, community action plans, project implementation and project monitoring.