- Location: Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia
- Types of Partners: Early Childhood, Primary, Junior High and High Schools
- Population Served: Children
- Age Group Served: 3-6 years, 6-12 years, 12+ years
- Number of People Cared For: 15+, 35+ (varies for each partner)
- Minimum Stay: From 2 weeks
- Sustainable Development Goal: Quality Education
- Programme Requirements: No specific requirement from partners, however a good command of English is required. No TOEFL training is required. Volunteers with studies or experience in teaching, early childhood development or any related area are suitable.
- Work Schedule: 5 hours per day, Monday – Friday
- Activities: Weekly workshops and cultural events
- Accommodation Type: Host Family
- Price: From $1,300USD per person, convert to your currency. Please see Programme and Project Price for each country
- Meals Included: Breakfast and dinner (adapted to dietary requirements as necessary)
- What is Included: 24-hour support, accommodation, programme, two meals, transportation to and from the airport, taxi cost from host family to partner agency, please see What is Included for a full list
- What is Not Included: Airfare, daily lunch, internet, laundry, travel and health insurance, please see What is Not Included for a full list
- Start Dates: Flexible
- Age of Volunteer: Must be 16+
The foundation for a good education begins at the early childhood level. Early childhood systems in the Caribbean have been going through several changes over the last 10 years as gradually improvements are being made to ensure that each child has a solid start. However, the resources remain very limited and the support from volunteers to assist with teaching and learning is critical to improving this system. This then impacts the primary education system where there are low literacy and numeracy rates in a number of schools; levels that are unacceptably high. Teaching volunteers can work in different schools with varying age groups; early childhood institutions (3-6 years), primary school (6-12 years), primary and junior high schools and high schools (12-18 years).
Your role as a volunteer is to offer support to teachers primarily in English and Mathematics but you may also be able to assist with other subjects such as art, dance, drama, history, social studies, geography, French and Spanish dependent on your skill sets and the needs of the schools. You will assist a teacher with preparing lesson plans and charts, educational games, small workshops and facilitate lessons that are interactive and fun. You may also be given an opportunity to teach the children about your culture as they are always fascinated by this.
Volunteers will also be involved in monthly outreach activities providing services and support to children.